Saturday 12 May 2012

Victor Hugo- A Preface

A famed writer once wrote this...

'So long as there shall exist, by virtue of law and custom, decrees of damnation pronounced by society, artificially creating hells amid the civilization of earth, and adding the element of human fate to divine destiny; so long as the three great problems of the century- the degradation of man through pauperism, the corruption of woman through hunger, the crippling of children through lack of light- are unsolved; so long as social asphyxia is possible in any part of the world;-in other words, and with a still wider significance, so long as ignorance and poverty exist on earth, books of the nature of Les Miserables cannot fail to be of use.'

Victor Hugo, although I haven't read his complete works, was always one of my idols, his dark themed stories captured me and sculpted my thinking into what it is now, VH was a visionary, much more than what I can write about here...he was a hero of the written word, he made each paragraph speak like a sword in a holy battle, the man had propose often lacked in modern literature, you could feel it in his books...the way he talked about the world made you feel that he believed, even in a skeptical way that the darkness we live in can become light once again.

He believed in humanity. 

I've watched more than my share of Les Miserables, and even though I had skimmed through the pages of the book as a young adult I couldn't go on with it, I found the book dark, and had too much realism for me -a fanciful girl of 14 to grasp- now as an adult I welcomed his mastermind, the aches of his characters, the beauty of his written words.

Such an epic.


No comments:

Post a Comment